SECOM to release cocobo, a new security robot that harmonizes with public spaces, meeting a wide variety of needs by utilizing AI, 5G, and scalability
cocobo from SECOM CO., LTD. (headquartered in Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, with CEO Ichiro Ozeki) is scheduled to be released on Monday, January 17, 2022. cocobo is a security robot that uses cutting-edge technologies such as AI and 5G to perform security work while harmonizing with various locations such as commercial facilities and office buildings.
As the working-age population declines, securing a labor force has become an important social issue in Japan. In recent years, the security service industry has also been required to reduce the burden on security guards and improve the working environment. As a solution to these contemporary issues, SECOM has been working to create a new type of security by using state-of-the-art technologies.
cocobo utilizes AI, 5G, and an array of devices and sensors to perform security patrols and inspections in the place of human guards. cocobo autonomously runs on designated patrol routes, capable of real-time AI analysis of images captured by the onboard cameras, as well as detecting misplaced persons, fallen individuals, and abandoned objects. If a suspicious person is detected, cocobo can emit an auditory warning accompanied by lights, as well as deploy a smokescreen for intimidation purposes. When performing inspection work, a modular arm can be attached to inspect places that are difficult for humans to check, such as underneath benches or under and behind vending machines. Furthermore, cocobo can actively utilize data from a variety of sources stored in the Cloud, including the Virtual Keibi System*, the facility's security cameras, elevators and electric locks, and other pertinent information regarding the facility and surrounding area. It will also collaborate with—and augment—the presiding security staff to provide efficient and higher quality performance in a wide range of operations, from ensuring safety during both peacetime and emergencies, to providing useful and optimal information. Since cocobo has the scalability to link with the information required by the customer, it can meet a variety of needs.
This service was designed by the SECOM DESIGN FACTORY, a strategic joint project between SECOM and its partners aimed at creating innovative and creative services. In collaboration with Mr. Kota Nezu from znug design and Loftwork Inc., the cocobo service has achieved a sophisticated design.
SECOM will continue to work on creating new security services, employing the newest technologies so that it can respond to the various needs of society.
*Published January 13, 2022: "Virtual Keibi System"
Virtual Characters to Provide Guard and Reception Services, for the First Time in the World
1. System overview and major functions
AI, 5G, and other highly advanced technologies are used to provide various security services, including patrol and inspection work. When an anomaly is detected, a signal is sent to the monitoring console installed in the disaster prevention center or other such control facility, and the system responds in cooperation with stationed security guards. In addition, the system can share and coordinate a variety of information on the Cloud, such as image data taken from the Virtual Keibi System (virtual security guard system) and surveillance cameras as well as information from elevators and other facility equipment. By doing so, we can provide more sophisticated security services.
Major functions: *Optional feature(s)
- Autonomous driving, automatic charging-
- Outdoor driving is possible. (Waterproofing required)*-
- Can drive up to a maximum speed of 6km/hr. and overcome road bumps of approximately 50mm in height (Speed may vary according to the environment).
- Can autonomously drive on inclined and uneven terrain, automatically detect obstacles, and avoid collisions. ‐
- Will return to the charging base according to the remaining battery power, and automatically charge the battery (approximately 3 hours of charging for 3 hours of drive time).
- Video-audio transmission/recording functions- The surrounding videos and audio collected by equipped cameras and microphones are sent to the monitoring console in real time for confirmation and recording.
- Misplaced and Fallen Persons*- Detecting misplaced and fallen persons by use of image-processing AI and notifying the monitoring console.
- Anomalous sound detection*- Upon detection of anomalous sounds such as loud noises, the monitoring console is notified.
- Fire detection*- The monitoring console is notified when the on-board infrared sensor/thermal image sensor detects a fire.
- Abandoned object detection*- Detects abandoned objects with image processing AI and notifies monitoring console.
- Inspection by arm*- An arm attachment equipped with an infrared sensor and a visible spectrum camera detect heat source (hazardous material) and notify the monitoring console.
‐ Doors can be locked using a separate hand-type attachment (currently under development).
- Cloud linkage*- By linking with the Cloud and accessing security systems and other facility data, the unit can move between floors by interacting with elevators, provide disaster information, and alert people.
cocobo Introduction Video (https://youtu.be/CGNclO1FV84)
|(W)700mm x (D)1,200mm x (H)1,250mm
|Approx. 160 kg (incl. Battery)
|6 km/hr. (speed is restricted based on surrounding environment)
|Continuous driving time
|Approximately 3 hours
|Total length is 978mm (100mm vertical movement capable) and a stereo camera, IR sensor, and LED for illumination can be equipped. *Optional features
|audio, headlights, and smokescreen emitter *Optional features
|microphone, built-in speakers (Can make voice call with security staff)
|Status-displaying LED, High-visibility LED display *Optional features
|Required communications setups
|5G, LTE, Wi-Fi compatible
|Waterproof rating is IPX5
<Rental price> *Option
|cocobo main unit (standard)
|300,000 yen/month (330,000 yen/month tax included,) as a rental charge
|60,000 yen/month (66,000 yen/month tax included,) as a rental charge
|30,000 yen/month (33,000 yen/month tax included,) as a rental charge
|10,000 yen/month (11,000 yen/month tax included,) as a rental charge
|The price will be based on the detection function(s) to be used
|The price will be adjusted according to the attachment(s) to be used (currently under development)
|The price will be adjusted according to the linked content.
|500,000 yen/alteration (550,000 yen/alteration tax included) and you can designate color and logo design.
About SECOM DESIGN FACTORY
It is a brand showing a strategic joint project between SECOM and its partners for the creation of innovative and creative services. It represents activities that create new customer value and social value within a broad and diverse range of values, as well as the products born from these activities. The logo design evokes the "0 → 1" image of creating new value that has never existed before, and our desire to move toward the future.
◆SECOM DESIGN FACTORY Website
- Press Release published on June 10, 2021: “Developing a new security robot, 'cocobo' that harmonizes with public spaces ~ Uses AI, 5G; Connects with facility information and the Cloud; Provides functions from safety assurance to amenity improvement ~”